Restore Your Smile’s Beauty, Health, and Function
If you’re experiencing difficulties with simple tasks like speaking or chewing due to broken, worn, or decayed teeth, dental crowns can swiftly restore both the function and appearance of your teeth.
Dr. Fred Gaeta, one of the best dentists in Kailua-Kona, HI, is committed to providing personalized and effective care to our patients in Haluaoa, Kukio, and Honalo. Learn more about porcelain crowns and determine if you’re a suitable candidate with our comprehensive guide.
What Are Dental Crowns?
Dental crowns are customized restorations that can strengthen and enhance the shape and appearance of a tooth. These porcelain caps match the shape, size, and color of your natural tooth, ensuring a seamless blend with your smile. Porcelain crowns are durable and long-lasting, and won’t cause leakage or staining over time like metal crowns.
What Can Dental Crowns Fix?
Dental crowns may be recommended in the following situations:
- Cracked or Chipped Teeth: If you have cracked or chipped teeth, dental crowns can restore their strength and appearance.
- Discolored or Stained Teeth: Porcelain crowns can effectively cover discolored or stained teeth, giving you a brighter smile.
- Worn-Down or Weakened Teeth: Teeth that have been worn down or weakened can benefit from the structural support provided by dental crowns.
- Severely Decayed Teeth: Dental crowns are an ideal solution for teeth that have been severely decayed and require reinforcement.
Dental crowns may not be suitable for everyone. To determine if you’re a good candidate for crowns, we recommend scheduling a consultation with Dr. Gaeta at our Kailua-Kona office.
Benefits of Dental Crowns
Apart from enhancing your tooth’s appearance, dental crowns offer a multitude of benefits, including:
- Durable and Long-Lasting Material: Porcelain crowns are known for their strength and longevity, ensuring a lasting solution for your dental needs.
- Quick and Minimally-Invasive Procedure: The process of placing dental crowns is efficient and involves minimal discomfort.
- Strengthens and Preserves Teeth: Dental crowns provide structural support to weakened teeth, preserving their functionality.
- Replaces Weakened or Missing Fillings: If you have old or missing dental fillings, dental crowns can effectively replace them, restoring the integrity of your teeth.
- Protects Teeth from Cavities and Bacteria: Dental crowns act as a protective barrier, shielding your teeth from cavities and harmful bacteria.
How Do Dental Crowns Work?
During your initial consultation with Dr. Gaeta, he’ll evaluate your oral health and determine if dental crowns are the right solution for you. This is an excellent opportunity for you to discuss any concerns or questions.
Tooth Preparation and Impressions
Dr. Gaeta will begin by preparing your tooth to accommodate the dental crown. This involves removing any decay or damaged portions of the tooth, ensuring a clean and stable foundation for the crown. Next, a detailed impression of your teeth will be taken. This impression will serve as a mold for creating your customized dental crown.
Temporary Crown Placement
To protect your prepared tooth while your permanent crown is being fabricated, a temporary crown will be placed. This temporary crown will provide aesthetic and functional benefits until your next appointment.
Fabrication of Your Customized Crown
After your initial appointment, the impressions of your teeth will be sent to a dental laboratory, where skilled technicians will fabricate your custom dental crown. The crown will be crafted to match the color, shape, and size of your natural teeth, ensuring a seamless blend with your smile.
Once your permanent crown is ready, you will return to our office for the final appointment. Dr. Gaeta will remove the temporary crown and carefully place the permanent crown onto your prepared tooth. He will assess the fit, comfort, and aesthetics of the crown and make necessary adjustments.
Frequently Asked Questions
On average, dental crowns can last anywhere from 10 to 15 years with proper care and maintenance. The lifespan of a dental crown can vary depending on factors such as oral hygiene practices, regular dental check-ups, biting forces, and individual habits. Follow good oral hygiene practices and visit your dentist regularly to ensure the longevity of your dental crowns.
The cost of dental crowns can vary depending on several factors, including the material used, the complexity of the case, the location of the dental practice, and additional treatments required. Consult with your dentist to get an accurate cost estimate based on your specific needs and circumstances.
The dental crown procedure is typically performed under local anesthesia, ensuring you experience little to no discomfort during the process. It’s normal to experience some sensitivity or mild discomfort after the anesthesia wears off. This temporary discomfort can be managed with over-the-counter pain relievers. If you have any concerns about pain or discomfort during the procedure, discuss them with your dentist beforehand.
Dental crowns and fillings serve different purposes and are used in different situations. Dental fillings are primarily used to repair small to moderate-sized cavities or minor tooth damage, while dental crowns are recommended for more extensive tooth damage, such as significant decay, cracks, or fractures. Your dentist will assess your condition and recommend the most appropriate treatment option for you.
Enhance Your Smile with Personalized Tooth Crowns
Dental crowns may be the ideal solution to restoring your healthy smile. When you’re ready to fix your cosmetic dental imperfections, Dr. Gaeta is ready to help. Schedule an appointment at our Kailua-Kona office by calling (808) 329-3314 or filling out our convenient online contact form. We look forward to helping you achieve a perfect smile!